Understanding the Budget
Our total Budget for the 2019-20 school year reflects projections close to 219,000 in revenues and expenses. This is a relatively large budget for an Oakland Public School.
Our budget has increased significantly over the past three years (approx $60k annually). This is due to the increased fundraising efforts of the PTSA…hurray Brewer families!
In general, our budgeted activities fall into clear categories this coming academic year:
- Funding for academics and enrichment activities: Budgeted at over $58,000 for this school year.
- Funding for 8th grade promotion: Budgeted at $10,000 for this school year which $2,000 is expected to to be raised by 8th Grade families.
- Funding for 8th grade DC trip: Budgeted at $30,000 for this school year which is expected to be 100% funded by 8th Grade DC families.
- Funding for community building activities: Budgeted at $21,400 for this school year.
- Expenses related to fundraising activities (including for activities that double as community building): Just over $19,000
- Funding to support culture and climate: Budgeted $33,6000 for student directed activities and $47,000 for staff directed activities for this school year.
- Flexible support: Budgeted $10,000 for this school year.
- Operations: $6,950 for this school year.
- In addition, we have budgeted $10,000, approximately 5% of our operating budget for fund sharing with higher need schools. Most of this is revenue from our fun run and dedicated auction activities.
Once all regular revenue and spending is determined we decide how much money to keep in reserves and how much to expend on special projects.
- Our by-laws state that we try to keep about 40% of our operating budget in reserves. For this year this comes up to just over $80,000.
- Our current reserves balance is $126,500 which means that we have about $47,000 to spend on Panther Pride projects. These reflect longer-term school improvement projects. Right now the following projects are proposed:
- Close to $20,000 for the library renovation—voted on and approved last year.
- $6,000 to purchase air conditioners for classrooms in fall 2019.
- $15,000 for landscaping projects from restricted donations by MSC the past 3 years.
- Additional Panther Projects will be voted on at our January meeting based on our mid-year budget figures.
Budget estimates are based on:
- Historic knowledge–based on the last three years of budget and expenditures
- Information from event lead
- Take into account other funds coming from the school or raised by specific departments.
The budget cycle is as follows:
- Initial draft budget is developed in the spring for the upcoming school year and approved as a draft by the board.
- Budget is revised after close of books in June to take into account new information on actual expenditures the previous year.
- Final budget for year approved at first PTSA general meeting of the year.
- Mid-year vote on additional reserves spending.